You really see the benefits of being a good steward when you go to sell your house. I’m talking a cold, hard cash reward for making it nicer than it was when you bought it.
Our first house in NC was built in 1960, and a lot of it was still dated (wallpaper, old linoleum, and other “vintage features”). It also really just needed some TLC and cleaning, since it was unoccupied for about a year before we bought it.
Before we moved in, we ripped up the old, gross, and sticky carpet (I do NOT want to know why it was sticky) and refinished the beautiful old hardwoods hiding underneath. If you ever have this opportunity in an older home, I recommend it, as long as the hardwoods don’t have too many major/deep stains. When we went to sell the home, the real estate agent we worked with said the hardwoods were probably the one thing we did that added the most value. Score!
Well, before we put the house on the market in the fall of 2013, we just knew we had to update those bad boys. As with all home improvement projects, we wondered why we didn’t do them a long time ago so we could enjoy them.
Since our floors were kind of uneven (consequence of an old house), we decided to go with a vinyl tile, since they are flexible and forgiving, and also easy to cut. BUT, when they are in, they look almost exactly like real tile! It’s sort of a nifty new invention–you still use grout between them. Plus, did I mention they are very affordable?
So, we began our tiling adventure. It took a long time to do approximately half our little house, but we made it!
After putting in the tile and grouting it, we finished up with new white quarter-round trim and new silver-tone transition strips to the hardwood floors.
As you can see, it was a much needed update! I’m confident this vinyl tile, costing us some hundreds, helped us get thousands more when we sold the house. A little hard work really paid off!
Have you done last minute improvements before selling a house?
So, they drilled and they drilled. Supposedly the average in our area for well depth is 150-250… don’t you just love it when you’re above average ;). They went 300 feet and got a mere 1 gallon per minute. Bah!
Oh well. Our pump guy Walter said that will be enough for us since we will have 300-400 gallons saved up in the well at any given time, but we will still have to be a little conservative about our water usage so we don’t run it dry. There goes my dream of doing laundry, running the dishwasher, taking a shower, and running a sprinkler system at the same time. Haha, just kidding. We should be fine. We don’t use that much water and we are only 2 people. And we can take full showers again!
It was pricier than we had hoped because they had to drill so far down (and we haven’t gotten the pump bill yet…) but I’m just glad we are getting it done and we know God promises to supply all our needs, so we are just trusting Him. I would have rather spent the money on a bathroom remodel or a fancy vacation to Europe, but hey, I’m really blessed to have water again soon!
As I promised, here are some pictures I snapped of the process. It was messy, but thankfully they protected some of our yard with their barrier they set up and laid down big mats for the truck tires to sit on.
I had a few spare minutes yesterday, so I finally took down the 80s over-the-sink radio/clock/tape deck that has been in our kitchen since we moved in. We enjoyed it while unpacking since the speakers still sounded pretty good for radio, but it was an eyesore, and unnecessary since we have a iPod speaker thing and it plays radio too. And I think the only tapes I have are Alanis Morrisette, Amy Grant, and the Beach Boys.
Here’s what it looked like when we moved in:
Gotta love the dangling cords. The thing was screwed into some boards and then up into the cabinet. The man who lived here before us rigged a lot of things “his own” way for his family 🙂
Much better! And when I was poking around under the cabinet, I found a paper towel holder folded up underneath that I’d never noticed before. Now our paper towel roll has a home! And we can enjoy our less anachronistic music player.
When we first bought our house, it had these old mauve/beige carpets throughout the living room, hall, and bedrooms. It wasn’t so bad looking, but to my horror, when we first hung out in our newly purchased home and had a glass of wine to celebrate, I walked around with my shoes off and my feet got sticky.
We had already found out that there were old hardwoods underneath from 1960 when the house was built. And the sticky feet made me extra glad we decided to rip up the carpets and get the hardwoods sanded and refinished before moving in. We were praying we could afford to do it that way instead of after we moved a bunch of furniture in, and thankfully we were able to do so!
I naively thought that ripping up the carpets would be easy. My wonderful husband (then fiance) ripped up all the carpet himself in an afternoon, BUT then came the hard part–getting up all the tack strips and carpet staples/tacks that were everywhere! They had had carpet at least twice, so there were lots of fun staples that were very difficult to get up. Thankfully two of our best friends helped us with that process… I’m not sure what we would have done without them! (Especially since we did not have the right tools at all to get up the tack strips and Tim was really smart and brought the right tool with him.)
Ta-da! Done! Then we got to move in with newly redone hardwoods (so much easier than trying to move all of our furniture out to do it later). Here’s a view to the kitchen’s linoleum… likely one of the next victims in our remodeling :).
So, there you have it. From old gross sticky mauve carpet, to gleaming fresh hardwoods with 50 years of character built in. I’m really blessed we stewarded what we had and it was so cool to find the treasure under our old carpet that only needed a little TLC.