recipe: quick, healthy breakfast melt
Sometimes I want a warm, delicious breakfast, of the breakfast sandwich variety. Well, to avoid driving 5 minutes away to Breuggers bagels, spending $5, and eating way more calories than I need, I came up with this quick solution this week that I thought I’d share.
It involves cheese, so I consider it indulgent since I don’t allow myself a cheesy breakfast everyday. But, it’s only about 250 calories! And it sure beats a bagel with cream cheese on the health scale.
It also requires a microwave and a toaster oven for maximum speed of breakfast making :). Probably takes around 5-10 minutes to make. Not much cleanup either!
1 slice whole wheat bread
1 slice cheddar cheese (I used medium cheddar)
Splash of vinegar
1. Set your slice of bread to toast light to medium in the toaster oven.
2. Fill a coffee mug halfway with water. Add a splash of vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar). Crack the egg into the mug, poke the yolk with a fork, cover the mug with a small plate or saucer, and microwave for 1 min. This will poach the egg. ( I found mine was still a little runny so I gave it another 15 seconds. Don’t go too long though, or your egg might explode little bits of egg all over you when you try to take it out, as happened to me once… It was shocking. Definitely throws off the morning routine!)
3. Remove egg from water and place on toast. Chop up the egg and spread around. Put slice of cheese on top.
4. Re-toast until cheese melts.
5. Enjoy your lean, delicious breakfast. No butter even!
Mine was 260 calories since we have bigger bread right now that’s 110 cals a slice, but I know some bread is a lot less. I’m sure someone already came up with this, but I felt inventive so I thought I’d share 🙂
And the best part–instead of spending $5-6 at a bagel store, I spent around $0.75 to make this. Frugal!